Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Next Great Crowdsourcing Experiment


I was sharing dinner the other day with a fantastic colleague and leader in the events and tradeshow industry and we spent the evening discussing a new product venture he is excited to be launching. Without getting too specific in this moment, leave it to say that the subject of the launch is an over-time proven product re-polished and ready to roll-out around the country. The problem is - big surprise - the tight economy is making it nearly impossible to get the funding to get the product on its feet and out the door.

There is little doubt that the downside to the economic slide of 08-09 is a massive constriction of the tunnel of funding accessible by small business entrepreneurs who have a passion for their creations and want to build success. But without the ability to gain cash or credit holds these creative seeds in a semi-permanent germination process, prohibited from growing into vibrant successes, unless discovered by accident or supported by some "angle" investor. Banks have not been a good way for my friend to go (and don't even get me started on credit!) Even for well established companies with demonstrated success, it has surprised me at the apparent lack of innovation, creation, and perfecting of products by suppliers for me to take to clients for events. Unless I pay for custom builds, I am stuck re-renting the same goods again and again... And I (if anyone) is someone who needs to be inspired! (i.e. I custom build a lot!).

The conversation got me thinking. Perhaps this individuals issue lives in the fact that his proposition is not falling on the right ears. As an every-day-increasing-fan of my social media networks and a new experimentor in the proposition of crowdsourcing, it struck me to try a little experiment. What is we posed this "new product in search of investor" to the great masses to try and generator a solution or find the perfect match? Could crowdsourcing be the perfect way to get this product off the ground? Well, I will give it a try.

Granted of course to be successful we have to find first a community (I have some) of correct potential listeners (I have to figure out). But if anything I hope this experiment will teach me more about the power of crowdsourcing and help hone my skills at building a social network of solution drivers!

So here goes:

I have posted this blog and will now tweet it to the world. (hopefully they will retweet it too).

If you are an investor who likes promising new ideas, brands, approaches and products with a proven track record and you have some or any interest in the event or tradeshow business, respond to this post (or email info@beeventsdesign.com) and I will contact you with more information.

OR

If you know someone who likes to invest in promising new ideas, approaches and products related to the event and tradeshow business, pass the message on.

Who knows if I can lend a hand and help my colleague out. I am excited to see if this experiment works - to see how wide a net we might be able to cast in my next great attempt at crowdsourcing. Results of the experiment to hopefully be posted soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment